This is our guild forums.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rizula Bantan

PostSubject: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:44 am

Alright so I know all of us in the gaming community tend to commit way too much time on the couch/at the computer, but I know I"m not alone in having hobbies that take me out of our comfort zone...the house. So what are you guys into that is away from the computer?

Me, last year I moved into a really rural area so i've gotten really into hiking and camping. I also started doing some shooting, mainly BB and pellet guns but have gotten to shoot a shotgun and a few rifles and I have to say I'm in love. Whenever I get the money I'll buy myself a shotgun. I also happen to be a gear whore in that whenever I adopt a new hobby I tend to want the best stuff for it. So i've gotten really into knives and tools and things like that. My hiking generally takes me into the lil mountain range we have here in Southern California(Santa Ana Mts for anyone from CA) and I enjoy taking pictures of what I see, even though all i have is the terrible camera on my blackberry. Let me know if you guys are interested in seeing some of them, they arent fancy but have some nice views.

The other hobby I've taken up recently is running. Growing up as a fat kid I NEVER ran, but now that I'm joining the Navy, I need to do it. I've worked my way up to running 3 miles which I never believed I could. I'm starting to somewhat enjoy it....but yeah its running.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:58 am

Thats awesome Bro, I live a "city" area in Va Beach i have 2 Jobs i work at best buy and gamestop part time i might join the military (airforce) that is. But im also in a Band that plays at on of the most respected venues not the amphitheatre maybe some day but some Big names come by at the smaller stage and my band will usually get a chace to open for them. =] i work out i dont do a whole lot of jogging maybe i should but mymetabolism is very high it always has been and i dont think ive ever gained weight unless i grow taller or work out but im mostly on here talking to you guys and keep up to date when i have the day off or i'm with the Girlfriend, (which im proud to announce im going to ask her to marry me soon ;]) so yah i dont do a whole lot of gaming lately gunna be on a hiatus off some extreme sit downs with a game until ToR comes out. (Like the thread and i think you posted it twice haha)
Back to top Go down
Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:09 am

I lived in the tiniest most rural farm town in all of Florida for just about my whole life. I love guns. LOVE THEM! I love knives. I have 2. 1 for my pocket. And an army standard issue combat based k-bar for my car. I've shot a lot of different guns as my step-dad is assistant chief of police in my town and is invited to an annual gun get together for all the aristocracy of my town. Barrett .50cal, M240b, Desert Eagle, Glock18, MP5, Ak-47, and amongst others,my favorite, the AR-15!(which I am saving up for currently to build myself! I love camping, and am going to be taught how to really fish pretty soon. Good luck to you on your adventure into the extremely enjoyable world of the animal man! You're getting connected to a beautiful side of us all, while learning the art of the modern weapon. I will admit, I still love classical weapons and the romanticism of melee combat, but you are in the 21st century and in America. Learn guns! When I turn 21 in a few months I am getting a handgun and concealed weapons license. I am very excited.

Anyway, the point of all of this is, if you ever want to talk about this stuff, I'm always up for it! And if I'm ever in SC or you're ever in FL, we should camp!

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:45 am

Teyfear thats BA man, i havent shot a gun but recently and boy was it amazing its really a life changing experience if no1 has done it yet i there i shot a Glock 13 that was really awesome to shoot. Fishing is realll fun hehe deep sea fishing is where its at IMO but i dont normally get around to doing that stuff anymore usually real busy nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Akua

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:08 pm

The Navy!?!...Man Army and USMC are the way to go, especially if you want to advance/make more money, The Navy is hands down the toughest branch to obtain rank no matter the job... and Harbringer, the Air Force is the hardest to actually get into none the less stay apart of. Now I don't know how physcally fit you are, but the Air Force has very strict requirements, and are most stern on there policies enforcing them, at least on par with the Marines anyway... But goodluck to both of you on your desicions, you won't regret it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:56 pm

I would love to go deep sea fishing. Hell, I would love to be on the deep sea! I've been on beached my whole life and never gotten to go very far off shore.

As for the military, Navy is definitely hard to advance in because they aren't doing as much in this war as they have in previous. However, with the Navy now at North Korea's border constantly and with the couple different pirate stand offs, it could get a little more action packed for them. The Air Force ain't so bad to get into as long as you have the ASVAB scores and necessary position. They practically begged my best friend. He got a 95 and is in Cyberspace Command as Network Security.(Sounds a ton cooler than it is.) Just make sure to do what you're told. The only thing you should lie about on your application is previous drug use, as in this day and age, where they are beyond their quotas, they will disqualify you for the stupidest stuff. I was supposed to currently be in BASIC as a Combat Engineer in the Army. I swore in and everything. But because I left out(due to my recruiter telling me it would be no big deal) some medical information from when I was younger, nothing serious even, I was discharged before my leave date. Now my life sucks because I put all my eggs in that basket(and because I wanted to see combat) but I'll make the best of it. Which brings me to my next point. Navy and Air Force are the ways to go if you don't want to be deployed. Because even if you are, it is almost always in a non-combat zone with pretty decent living. However, in the Army or Marines, you can be pumping gas or delivering mail in a damn combat zone!

Good luck to you man. There is no stronger or more rewarding meritocracy in the world!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Akua

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:57 pm

Being deployed all depends on what you do in the Navy or any branch for that matter, example, a Navy engineer is unlikely to ever see combat, but a Navy Corpmen will see combat 9 time out of 10 if deployed because they are the Marine Corps' "Docs", whereas the Army and Air Force have there own, so be cautious on what job you select and do plenty of research and ask plenty of questions.

And about the drug and medical thing, they really discharged you, they shouldn't have unless you had "recently" taken drugs/been injured, either way it all falls back on the recruiter.

Combat Engineer!?! Tons of respect...even though you only need like a 2 on the ASVAB to get that job, it's probally one of, if not the most dangerous MOS you could have...So again, tons of respect...

Combat Medic Hoooah!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 pm

Rules changed man. Its extremely hard to get in anywhere. I literally got the last Combat Engi postition in the Army. I had no issues with drugs. They claimed I lied. Called it fraudulent enlistment. I was not happy with my recruiter!

You are right about the ASVAB thing. I got an 89 and the job didn't even come up on my recommendation. lol. But I insisted. Call me crazy, but its what I wanted. I still have this sinking feeling in my chest that I'm not out there watching someones back. I'm fast, I'm smart, and I'm brave.(or crazy...whatever) I was signed up for SAPPER and Airborne schools too.

I almost went Combat Medic btw. My grandfather was a corpmen in the Korean War, and I've always loved the medics position and responsibilities. Best of luck to you my friend. I respect what you do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Traxex Wraw

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:47 pm

I run, play baseball, hang out with my friends. Mostly video games. But somtimes me and my friends do crazy things like break into old factories and try to make computers.

But i would love to go deep sea fishing and i would also like to hunt. Nothing says "this is fun!" like shooting some deer.

I live in the suburbs of a little town called cheektowaga (in buffalo) NY, home of ze wings!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:50 pm

I guess all small towns are indian names. Mines Wauchula...the town is 50 years in the past in soooo many ways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Traxex Wraw

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:07 pm

lol like how?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:32 pm

Its the people here. It's kind of hard to explain, but their political views. Their beliefs on progression of the world. Half of them are "The South will rise again!" rednecks and the other half are "Good ol boys" who think you can simplify everything with no consequences. You know, the "Nuke em all!" mentality. We just got broadband internet like a year ago! We have a multiple time state winning Academic Team, which is like jeopardy with teams. Instead of giving that successful program money, they took it all away and gave the money to the football team, who has never won state once! They still work on the southern aristocracy ideals. Its who you know more than what you're worth. Which has worked for me since my step-dads assistant chief of police...so people like to kiss his butt. But it's still not right!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Traxex Wraw

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:35 pm

sounds kinda criminal. No offense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:40 pm

That was my whole point. Don't get me wrong though...its not like i've gotten away with murder. Or like my dad has taken bribes. Its more of, I've gotten jobs easier than others or I've gotten away with tickets. And I have always expressed how against it I am
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Traxex Wraw

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Then save up some money and move if you dont like it. you can move to buffalo where we have wings!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Akua

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:44 pm

You're right, the Army has met its "qouta" lol on many of the MOS available, and man that sucks what happend.

Oh and about the academic and football thing, why all the hatered towards the football program, in the long run that program will bring in more income for the school from ticket sales, consession stand, fund-raisers, and various other things, and all at the same time teaching the student athlete values, teamwork, and leadership, which alot of non-athletes don't learn until there out of school unless they were apart of some club...oh and the extra sugar on top is that brings a sense of morale to the school as well, granted they are successful, but it would be an investment I would be willing to sacrifice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Well, I did move once. And then the army thing happened, so I'm at square one. I'm not complaining. Only explaining. I'll be out in a few months. As for Buffalo...wings are just about my favorite food...so don't think I wouldn't consider it! Laughing

And I have no hate for the football team. I had a lot of friends on there. In fact, the best player on the football team was also one of the best players on the Academic team. It was more of an example of priorities. We had a kid that went to Nationals and got 2nd place and he didn't even get recognition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Akua

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Now thats just ridiculous but hey he's probally on scholarship by now right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Indeed he is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darken Starsky

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:47 pm

I have 1 job right now, and it takes up a lot of my time. I run, play baseball, soccer, and rugby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thearlyoflight.bestforumpro.com
Akua

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Darken Starsky wrote:
I have 1 job right now, and it takes up a lot of my time. I run, play baseball, soccer, and rugby.

I love rugby, you have a favorite team? Mine is of course is the All-Blacks, considering I'm Samoan may have to do with that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rizula Bantan

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Master Traxex Wraw wrote:
I run, play baseball, hang out with my friends. Mostly video games. But somtimes me and my friends do crazy things like break into old factories and try to make computers.

But i would love to go deep sea fishing and i would also like to hunt. Nothing says "this is fun!" like shooting some deer.

I live in the suburbs of a little town called cheektowaga (in buffalo) NY, home of ze wings!

HAHA no way dude, I lived in Depew for 2 years, and went to Lancaster HS while I was there. I just realized that I accidently made my thread twice. sorry guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Traxex Wraw

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:10 pm

Rizula Bantan wrote:
Master Traxex Wraw wrote:

HAHA no way dude, I lived in Depew for 2 years, and went to Lancaster HS while I was there. I just realized that I accidently made my thread twice. sorry guys!

dude you serious? cool! *high fives Riz*
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:39 am

Barbecuing and clubbing whenever i have time,otherwise during the weekends im spending time with my girlfriend and my kid(watching the clone wars with her she loves padme)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)   

Back to top Go down

A Galaxy far,far away...(the great outdoors!)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Army Of Light :: Public Discussion-
Jump to: