The Army Of Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is our guild forums.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What books are better?

Go down 
+10
Ton Monith
TyraelVae
Ilvos Gedd
RioBanchee
Traxex Wraw
Teyfear
Ronan Starkiller
Vyynn Randos
Norris bly
Wudan
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Wudan

Wudan

What books are better? Empty
PostSubject: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:02 pm

Im looking for a good starting point to pick up on in the star wars books...should i read before the new hope or after the return of the jedi?
Back to top Go down
Norris bly

Norris bly

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 1:25 am

I actully like the after return of the jedi books better. It has a more interesting era (my opinion.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 5:58 am

i've actually never read any of the books o if any suggestions are made would really help me out as well =]
Back to top Go down
Vyynn Randos

Vyynn Randos

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 2:28 pm

IF you want a better understanding of the Dark Side, and of how Jedi/Sith dynamics worked back in the day, read the 'Darth Bane' novels.

Most people start with the various novelizations of the movies/in between, which I would recommend. The ones for the prequel trilogy are fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Ronan Starkiller

Ronan Starkiller

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 5:01 am

i recommend darth bane: path of destruction. or if you want new order, i recommend the all time classic: I Jedi
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/ptf2012
Teyfear

Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 6:41 am

I love the Darth Bane books. But as far as novels go, the Thrawn Trilogy is pretty fantastic. My biggest recommendation is "I, Jedi." It is a novel told from the first person perspective of an ex Rogue Squadron pilot, current CorSec(Correlian Security forces) officer whose wife is kidnapped. Having a family lineage of Jedi that goes very far back, he becomes one of the first class of recruits in the New Jedi Order created by Luke Skywalker. It's a great book with a lot of intimate Jedi moments, and some crazy impromptu action, due to him being a soldier and pilot before having The Force as his ally.

Have fun man. The Expanded Universe is a pretty great place.
Back to top Go down
Traxex Wraw

Traxex Wraw

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:35 am

All the books are good, but i like the Darth Bane books the best. Very good books
Back to top Go down
RioBanchee

RioBanchee

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Darth Bane are great, however the books on how Luke rebuild the Jedi order, I enjoyed.. I drawn a blank on the titles. the 3 books that follow Return of the Jedi, are great, easy read: Heir to the Empire; Dark Force Rising; The Last Command.....
Back to top Go down
RioBanchee

RioBanchee

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Also try Author: Timothy Zahn.....
Back to top Go down
Teyfear

Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Timothy Zahn is a truly great author. He did the Thrawn Trilogy.(amongst others)
Back to top Go down
Vyynn Randos

Vyynn Randos

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 4:05 pm

He also did Outbound Flight and the one where Luke/Mara found OF. Yeah, Zahn is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Ronan Starkiller

Ronan Starkiller

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 12:54 pm

iam listening to the fatal alliance audio book. so far, so awesome.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/ptf2012
Ilvos Gedd

Ilvos Gedd

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 1:51 am

The first Expanded Universe novels I read were the Jedi Academy trilogy: Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, and Champions of the Force, all by Kevin J. Anderson; they deal with the very beginning of Luke Skywalker's new Jedi Order, as well as some New Republic politics, the Dark Side, an awesome superweapon, and Han Solo's continued adventures. Excellent books, and they introduce Kyp Durron, who goes on to become (in my opinion) one of the most interesting (and, unfortunately, underused of late) EU characters.

I would also recommend Allegiance, by Timothy Zahn, and Crosscurrent, by Paul S. Kemp. Allegiance is set during the Galactic Civil War, and involves discontented stormtroopers and the famed Mara Jade. Crosscurrent involves the Great Sith War and the Legacy Era simultaneously, including Jedi Academy's own Jaden Korr. They're excellent books, and can stand on their own rather than pulling you into a series.

Good hunting.
Back to top Go down
TyraelVae

TyraelVae

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Also the clone wars series books are nice Shatterpoint (about Mace Windu) and Yoda :Dark Rendez-vous (about yoda and dooku)
Back to top Go down
Vyynn Randos

Vyynn Randos

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Shatterpoint is an excellant novel. I loved the philosophy discussed there.
Back to top Go down
Ton Monith

Ton Monith

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:38 am

I personally go for the older (i.e. the mid-1990's books) like Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy, Truce at Bakura and The Courtship of Princess Leia. They may be old, but they're still good to read (if you don't know the story about it of course)
Back to top Go down
Jaycen

Jaycen

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Yeah I started at the Jedi Academy series. Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force. Got all 3 off amazon for about $9, definitely worth the buy. I then moved straight on to the Legacy of the Force series, and am now reading the Fate of the Jedi stuff, which is SO good.

Also just bought the Darth Bane stuff and Im onto the last book, definitely get it, and I have bought Fatal Alliance there too Smile
Back to top Go down
Ory Nara

Ory Nara

PostSubject: XD   What books are better? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Do comics count hehe
Back to top Go down
Teyfear

Teyfear

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 5:58 pm

Comics definitely count! The entire Tales of the Jedi series is awesome. Crimson Empire and Dark Empire were fantastic!

Comics are literature too!
Back to top Go down
Twan

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2010 6:22 pm

I loved the New Jedi Order.
Putting such a young Order against an alien force as vicious and unforgiven as the Yuuzhan Vong was just brilliant.
Testing everyone's belief in what they new. Also kept me thinking about what the edge of a galaxy looks like.
Is it a mirrored glimmer or does space just go black? Tahiri Veila and Jacen Solo both had adventure's that made this series epic.

The Thrawn Trilogy was just epic.
So much didn't revolve around the Jedi or force users.
It brings out the pure humanity of Star Wars by reminding us that normal people can do extraordinary things.

Legacy of the Force was awesome.
Seeing Luke's own nephew devastate the galaxy with pretty much minimal effort was amazing.
Jaina and Jag were just awesome. And then of course Boba Fett played his part. Good 'ol Boba will never be off the best characters list.

Fate of the Jedi keeps getting better.
Bringing forward an entire planet of Sith just made me smile.
An actual challenge. Will the trials ahead of the Jedi be more than they can handle or will the Sith once again parish?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/update_security_info.php?wizard=1#!/prof
Vyynn Randos

Vyynn Randos

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Remember, everyone, some people here haven't read certain novels. Try and keep the spoilers to a minimum.
Back to top Go down
Jerev Falar

Jerev Falar

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 8:33 pm

I honestly enjoy Karren Travis's novels, especially the Commando ones. If you have not read them, they are very good. But yet, no more info on Sev....only downfall though, pick it up sometime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What books are better?   What books are better? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What books are better?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Army Of Light :: Guild Hall :: StarWars Discussion-
Jump to: